The Board of Education met in their regular Board Meeting at 6 PM on Tuesday, September 22, at Northridge Elementary School in Orem. The meeting began with the posting of the colors and the Pledge of Allegiance by Scout Troop #597, all students at Northridge.
Mr. Harvey's 6th grade music class then did a beautiful job singing the song "One Voice" - reminding us that each of us haS a voice and we can all make a difference.
Principal Kim Bird recognized the following Northridge Elementary students:
1. Jacob Henderson - A 6th grade student who is a true friend to others. He also tutors other students in reading.
2. Liberty Ritchie - Also a 6th grade student who loves school and is a friend to all.
3. Myles Mattinson - A 3rd grade student who works hard and is doing great in school.
4. Tucker Harris - A 1st grade student who read 30 books and did 57 homework activities over the summer!
5. Ian and Hunter Chiniquy - 4th grade brothers who are very polite and have good manners.
6. Mary Elizabeth Thomas - A talented 5th grader student who is involved in orchestra, storytelling, choir, and ballroom.
Congratulations to these students who represent all of the other great student at Northridge Elementary.
Guy Fugal, representing the Alpine Foundation, then, recognized 6 other people from Northridge:
1. Janeen Graham - A teacher who loves coming to work. Her love of teaching is contagious to those around her.
2. Rolfe Andrus - A "one of a kind" teacher who is "strong, steady, and consistent."
3. Cindy Jaramillo - A former teacher who now facilitates the STAR reading program.
4. Stacee Smith - A lucky "catch" for Northridge this summer. She also helps with the STAR reading program.
5. Wendy Mitchell - A volunteer who puts a smile on faces at Northridge daily. Service for others is her middle name.
6. Tracy Alder - A volunteer who has dedicated her life to serving others. She organizes the home reading library.
Congratulations and thank you for the service you give to the students of Northridge Elementary.
PTA Presidents Tiffany Benson and Marci Lameraux then reported about the "Green Revolution" taking place at Northridge this year. Students participate in setting goals each month and earn beads for their "dog tags".
School Community Chair Carolyn Longhurt expressed appreciation for the partnership with the PTA as well as the school principal and faculty. The SCC uses their bulletin board as well as their website to communicate to patrons at Northridge.
Principal Kim Bird reported on the progress of Professional Learning Communities at Northridge over the last five years. She recognized the faculty and staff for their hard work and dedication. She also expressed appreciation to the patrons and students at Northridge.
Thank you to all of the faculty, staff, patrons, and students for an impressive job hosting Board Meeting this month. Northridge Elementary is obviously a great place for students to achieve.
The action item for the evening was a real estate purchase contract.
David Smith from the district office then gave an impressive report on AYP and UPASS data for Alpine School District.
Board Member Tim Osborn reported on the groundbreaking of the new MATC building located at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. The building will be complete in approximately 15 months.
Board Member JoDee Sundberg reported on the ongoing PTA/SCC meetings currently taking place at schools around the district. She commented on the privilege it is for Board Members to be able to listen to discussions and concerns of patrons in our schools.
Board Member Chrissy Hannemann reported on the progress of the district curriculum committee.
The next Board Meeting will be held on October 13 at the district offices.